Me and my brother clubbed together and bought a cheap house that was in need of completely gutting and starting again, which meant most of nights and weekends for a few months had a new purpose whilst we did our best to sort out the refit as cheaply as possible.
We tried to do as much of the work ourselves to get the house up to speed, and one of the main jobs was to refit the kitchen. We bought all the units online and my brother decided he could tackle the job himself in a weekend, with a bit of help from me where I could.
As the lounge was mostly empty, and much bigger than the kitchen, he started building all the units up in there and moving them through to the kitchen when they were built. Which worked great for the first few units, but then he built the first corner unit, which was a lot larger than the others.
Without realising it he had built a unit far too big to fit through the door frame back into the kitchen! After laughing between ourselves for a while, we attempted to take it apart again, only to successfully break a corner off one of the side panels whilst unscrewing it!
Obviously we told the place we bought the units from that it was like that when we got it, but we still had to wait 2 weeks for a replacement part to be sent, so we had half a kitchen in the lounge and half in the kitchen for a fair while!
Submitted by Sara Moore.